The National Research Collaborative is a conglomeration of all trainee research collaboratives in the United Kingdom and Ireland. We aim to coordinate nationally to bring high impact multi-centre research delivered by trainees. Each year we run a national conference – in 2020, this was changed to a virtual webinar format due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The physical conference will resume in 2021 in Bristol.
Other multicentre projects are also disseminated through the NRC. Some of the benefits of participating in a national collaborative project include:
● Discuss and get advice with protocol design, statistics, ethics, funding and running your study.
● Find volunteers across your region (or the entire UK!) to help with multi-centre data collection.
● Continue projects even when you have rotated to another hospital.
● Boost your CV with your name as a co-author of a major paper in a high impact journal.
- Pinkney TD, Calvert M, Bartlett DC, et al. Impact of wound edge protection devices on surgical site infection after laparotomy: multicentre randomised controlled trial (ROSSINI Trial). BMJ 2013;347:f4305. doi: 10.1136/bmj.f4305 Accessible from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.f4305
- Hamilton E, Ravikumar R, Bartlett D, et al. Dexamethasone reduces emesis after major gastrointestinal surgery (DREAMS). Trials 2013;14:249. Accessible from: https://doi.org/10.1186/1745-6215-14-249
- Bhangu A, Nepogodiev D, Ives N, Magill L, Glasbey J, Forde C et al. Prophylactic biological mesh reinforcement versus standard closure of stoma site (ROCSS): a multicentre, randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2020;395(10222):417-426. Accessible from: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(19)32637-6